Getting to grips with our unconscious bias is a critical step in creating a fair and inclusive workplace. Produced in partnership with leading UK business psychology consultancy Pearn Kandola, this course looks at why bias develops, its impact on the workplace and what we can do to tackle it at both an individual and organisational level.
No matter how open-minded we might like to think we are, we are all inherently biased. These biases develop over the course of our lives as a result of the influences of our friends and family, our personal experiences, our cultural background and external influences such as the media. While we may be largely unaware of them, they can exert a powerful influence on how we interact with those around us and the decisions that we make about people and situations.
This course combines original drama and expert analysis to provide psychological insights into how our own behaviour might be affected by bias and looks at what we can do to reduce or eliminate its influence on our working relationships and the decisions that we make. Suitable for teams of all types, the course has been designed to help people at all levels including operational managers and staff, HR managers and trainers and senior executives and business leaders.
This course will give a better understanding of:
- Why humans are biased
- The relationship between bias, prejudice and discrimination
- How unconscious bias can impact on the workplace and on working relationships
- What we can do to reduce or eliminate bias from our decision-making process
- How to identify and address bias in specific situations, such as recruitment.
- The course does not require learners to have any specific software, just basic computer-operating skills.
- No special materials or prior knowledge necessary - everything is provided.
- Understand why humans are biased and are naturally built to stereotype
- Appreciate the relationship between bias and stereotypes, prejudice and discrimination
- Assess the impact of bias on their decision-making, behaviour and relationships
- Identify their own biases and take action to compensate for them
- Understand what can be done by employers to tackle bias at an organisational level
At Skill Boosters we work with leading subject matter experts to design, develop and deliver effective video based training for the workplace. We are passionate about delivering impactful training which helps to build productive, tolerant and inclusive individuals, teams and workplaces and which improves lives and life chances.
Our courses combine video drama, expert analysis, documentary sequences and interactive study to provide flexible, cost-effective training that engages, informs and inspires our learners.
Skill Boosters courses and resources are trusted by many of the world's leading organisations to develop and improve the skills and behaviours of their people.
Pearn Kandola is recognised to have exceptional expertise in three specialist areas: Assessment, Development and Diversity. This three-way input provides a unique insight into human resource matters, and equips us to fulfil our mission to enable organisations and people to succeed by recognising their strengths, developing their potential and valuing diversity.
Since our foundation in 1984, the firm has been acknowledged, by clients and by the profession of business psychology, as one of the most successful and forward-thinking in the field, maintaining our leading edge position in our three main areas of expertise: Assessment, Development and Diversity.