Food access: Learn about food supply and food security
Have you ever considered that you’re not the only one who decides what food ends up on your plate? In this environmental studies course, you’ll explore how key actors at household, local, national and international levels negotiate and make choices on access to food. You will understand why the choices you make have been predestined. And you will learn what it takes to provide access to a safe and nutritious food supply every day.
In this course you will learn that food access:
- And food manufacturing has changed during the past century
- Depends on social and economic dynamics at the household level for everyone
- Is shaped at a local level by the interactions between traders, retailers, producers and buyers in the markets
- Is influenced on a national scale by politics and policies by negotiating and aligning goals, instruments, and modes of governance ¥ is impacted by debates and negotiations creating conditions in food trade by international organizations
Wageningen University is specialized
The University of Wageningen offers an excellent combination of conducting research worldwide and educating in the area of ‘healthy food and living environment’. The institute ranks among the top Dutch universities and has scored the third place in the Times Higher Education (THE) World Ranking 2017 for research performance. Learn from professors who have gained decades of experience from both teaching at a specialized university and real life projects about access to food worldwide.
This is why you should sign up
If you want to understand the basics of access to food and food decision-making from a multilevel perspective, you can sign up as a:
- food and nutrition policy maker
- development practitioner and trainer at international, national, household and individual level
A verified edX certificate provides proof for an employer, school, or other institution that you have successfully completed this online course.
- After successful completion of both practice and graded assignments related to this course, you will:understand the basic principles of food access
- understand actors’ choices influencing food access
- discern dilemmas at household, local, national and international levels get the big picture when the connections between levels and actors regarding access to food have been unraveled.