This course is designed to dramatically increase your musical horizons. It will take you from little to no knowledge of written music, to being able to read and interpret music.
It will thoroughly cover a variety of subjects:
- Understanding clefs in music
- Understanding major and minor scales
- Identifying key signatures
- Interpreting time signatures
- Understanding note pitches within the stave, and the use of ledger lines
- All note values and names
- Accidentals (sharps and flats)
- Dynamic markings
- and so much more.!
The course will comprise of video lectures, easily broken down in to identifiable sections, and course material such as summary sheets, quizzes, transcripts, and audio examples.
- No, just an enthusiasm to learn a great new skill.
- How to read musical notation, for both Bass Clef and Treble Clef, and decipher pitch based on note placement.
- How to understand Clefs.
- How to understand Key signatures.
- How to understand Time Signatures.
- How to interpret stave directions such as dynamic changes, accents, tempo instructions, latin direction, etc.
- How to read rhythms and syncopation from different note and rest values.
- An understanding of major and minor scales, and how these scales are formed.
Hi all! So here's a bit of background I have been a musician for over 25 years, writing and arranging music for a variety of solo instruments and ensembles. Most recently I have achieved Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) after studying at Post Graduate level.
During my professional musical career I performed on the Double Bass, Guitar, and Tuba for eight years as a musician in the Royal Marines Band, performing alongside celebrities at great venues such as the Royal Albert Hall and at events including the Edinburgh Military Tattoo.
During this time I have also been an instrument tutor, and provided music theory lessons. I have a publishing company, Penny Music Co. through which I release my arrangements, and even a record label (McStrange Records) under which I release my recordings. Both of these are tons of fun by the way
So that is the long and short of the circumstances which gave way to my musical life I really hope you enjoy the course!