Who needs this course?
Entrepreneurs, project managers, lawyers, VCs and other business types who need to understand the business opportunities, legal risks, licensing strategies, and key terminology of Open Source Software (OSS).
What will I be able to do after studying this?
- Make money with an Open Source strategy
- Figure out when going Open Source is a better idea than selling proprietary software
- Select the best Open Source license for a particular use-case
- Know how and when an open source software audit may be required
What are some of the topics covered?
- Why do developers contribute to Open Source?
- How do companies generate sustainable revenue from open source software? What are the best business models?
- How does open source software compete with proprietary software, and vice versa?
- How have proprietary software vendors coopted open source software into their products without running into licensing challenges?
- What are the main open source license categories? What are the most controversial licenses and why?
- What are the risks in using or distributing open source software? How do you identify such risks?
- What are the biggest open source projects? What led to their dominance?
- and much more!
- Interest in open source from a business perspective