UPDATED for the 2018 ABRSM Syllabus Changes
The third level of ABRSM Music Theory exams is ideal for anyone who has a fair understanding of scales, keys and time signatures that are reasonably simple.
At grade 3, we delve deeper into the slightly more complex topics such as keys with up to 4 flats or sharps in them, harmonic and melodic minor scales, and simple and compound time signatures (6/8, 9/8 and 12/8).
We'll also review some of the topics from the lower grades which cause the most difficulty, such as beaming notes together in groups.
Please note that the grade 3 course/syllabus overlaps with grade 2, so we will also review some topics from grade 2 (those that normally cause the most confusion!)
The course includes:
- PDF coursebook with comprehensive explanations and examples of each topic
- PDF includes hundreds of practice exercises (answers included)
- PDF also includes a full mock test based on the style of the real exam
- Apps and quizzes for learning the foreign musical terms for this grade.
- Teacher support via the messaging board
Reference materials include all the foreign terms you need for grade 3, including those learned at grades 1 and 2, as the syllabus is cumulative, plus complete examples of all scales in both treble and bass clefs.
- You should be around ABRSM Grade 2 music theory
- You should have basic understanding of reading music with key signatures.
- Not sure which grade you are? Just send me a message and I'll help!