UPDATED for the 2018 ABRSM Syllabus Changes
Grade 2 Music Theory is the second level of exams offered by the ABRSM (Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music).
This course is ideal if you are reasonably confident in reading simple music pieces, and would like to expand your knowledge into a deeper understanding of how music works.
You do not need to have passed grade 1 to take this course!
This level covers the major and minor (harmonic and melodic) scales, key signatures and triads in the keys of A, Bb and Eb major and A, E and D minor (plus revision of the keys from grade 1 - C, G, D and F major).
You'll learn about slightly more complex rhythmic concepts, such as time signatures with a minim/half note beat (2/2, 3/2 and 4/2) and the triplet.
The course includes:
- Free comprehensive coursebook PDF with more examples and explanations
- The PDF includes hundreds of practice exercises (answers included)
- PDF also includes a mock test in the style of the exam
- Support from your teacher
The course uses both UK and USA note terminology (crotchet AND quarter note).
Please note that the grade 2 course/syllabus overlaps with grade 1, so we will also review some topics from grade 1 (those that normally cause the most confusion!)
- Students should have passed ABRSM grade 1 music theory or be at the same level
- You should be able to read notes in the treble and bass clefs, and have a basic understanding of the major scales of C, G, D and F.
- Not sure which grade you are? Just send me a message and I'll help!