Hear why this is one of the TOP-RATED Power BI courses on Udemy:
"Instructor is top notch - moves at the right pace and keeps it interesting. Best Power BI course on Udemy!"
"Resources are awesome. Presenter is brilliant. I found this course more useful than the offical Power BI course from Microsoft. Things are easy to follow, and presentations are of high quality."
"Chris is a skilled communicator and does a great job of explaining a complex tool like Microsoft Power BI. His 'pro-tips' are great for new user productivity and gaining a sense of the big picture, and I value his best practices on building and managing Power BI queries and reports. I'm feeling much more confident to dig in and use Power BI on my own projects!"
If you're looking for a comprehensive, hands-on guide to learning Microsoft Power BI Desktop, you've come to the right place.
Power BI is quickly becoming the world's most powerful self-service business intelligence platform, and an absolutely essential tool for data professionals and beginners alike. With Power BI you can connect to hundreds of data sources, build complex relational models using simple and intuitive tools, and design stunning, interactive dashboards from scratch all for free.
THE COURSE PROJECT:
In this course, you'll be playing the role of Lead Business Intelligence Analyst for Adventure Works Cycles, a global manufacturing company. Your mission? To design and deliver a professional-quality, end-to-end business intelligence solution, armed only with Power BI and a handful of raw csv files.
But don't worry, I'll be guiding you through the ins-and-outs of Power BI Desktop, sharing crystal clear explanations and helpful pro tips each step of the way. We'll follow a steady, systematic progression through the Power BI workflow, and break down our project into FOUR KEY OBJECTIVES:
POWER BI OBJECTIVE #1: Connect & Transform the Raw Data
- Intro to the Power BI Query Editor
- Types of Power BI Data Connectors
- Basic Table Transformations
- Text, Number & Date Tools
- Index & Conditional Columns
- Grouping & Aggregating Data
- Pivoting & Unpivoting
- Modifying, Merging & Appending Queries
- Connecting to Folders
- Defining Hierarchies & Categories
- Query Editing & Power BI Best Practices
POWER BI OBJECTIVE #2: Build a Relational Data Model
- Intro to Database Normalization
- Data ("Fact") Tables vs. Lookup ("Dimension") Tables
- Creating Power BI Table Relationships
- "Star" vs. "Snowflake" Schemas
- Active vs. Inactive Relationships
- Relationship Cardinality
- Connecting Multiple Data Tables
- Filtering & Cross-Filtering
- Hiding Fields from the Power BI Report View
- Data Modeling & Power BI best Practices
POWER BI OBJECTIVE #3: Add Calculated Fields with DAX
- Intro to Data Analysis Expressions (DAX)
- Calculated Columns vs. Measures
- Row Context vs. Filter Context in Power BI
- DAX Syntax & Operators
- Common Power BI Functions
- Basic Date & Time Formulas
- Logical & Conditional Statements
- Text, Math & Stats Functions
- Joining Data with RELATED
- CALCULATE, ALL & FILTER Functions
- DAX Iterators (SUMX, AVERAGEX)
- Time Intelligence Formulas
- DAX & Power BI Best Practices
POWER BI OBJECTIVE #4: Design Interactive Power BI Reports
- Intro to the Power BI Report View
- Adding Basic Charts to Power BI Reports
- Formatting & Filtering Options
- Matrix Visuals
- Slicers & Timelines
- Cards & KPIs
- Power BI Map Visuals (Basic, Fill, ArcGIS)
- Treemaps, Lines, Areas & Gauges
- Editing Report interactions
- Adding Drillthrough Filters
- Linking to Report Bookmarks
- Using "What-If" Parameters
- Managing & Viewing Roles
- PREVIEW: Publishing to Power BI Service
- Power BI Data Viz Best Practices
By the end of the Adventure Works project, not only will you have developed an entire business intelligence tool from the ground up using Power BI, but you will have gained the knowledge and confidence to apply these same concepts to your own Power BI projects.
For those looking for more opportunities to test their Power BI skills, I've also included an additional set of project files for a bonus Final Project. This is your chance to showcase all of the skills you've developed throughout the course, and apply them to a brand new data set from Maven Market, a global supermarket chain.
Whether you're a casual Power BI user, aspiring analyst, or data science professional, this course will give you the tools you need to become an absolute Power BI ROCK STAR guaranteed.
Join today and get immediate, lifetime access to the following:
- 100+ page Power BI ebook
- Downloadable Power BI project files
- Homework exercises & quizzes
- 1-on-1 expert support
- Course Q&A forum
- 30-day money-back guarantee
See you in there!
-Chris (Founder, Maven Analytics)
Looking for the full business intelligence stack? Search for "Maven Analytics" to browse our full course library, including Excel, Power BI, MySQL, and Tableau courses!
- Microsoft Power BI Desktop (free download)
- This course is designed for PC/Windows users (currently not available for Mac)
- Experience with Excel Power Query, Power Pivot & DAX is a plus, but not required
- Build professional-quality business intelligence reports from the ground up
- Blend and transform raw data into beautiful interactive dashboards
- Design and implement the same B.I. tools used by professional analysts and data scientists
- Showcase your skills with two full-scale course projects (with step-by-step solutions)
- Understand the business intelligence workflow from end-to-end
- Learn from a best-selling instructor and professional BI developer
Maven Analytics transforms everyday people into data rockstars by streamlining, simplifying, and personalizing the online learning experience.
Since 2014 we've helped students and teams across 150+ countries develop the most sought-after analytics and business intelligence skills, through on-demand courses, skills assessments, curated learning paths, and enterprise training.
Learning new skills shouldn’t be complicated. Think of Maven as your personal team of instructors, experts, mentors and guides, helping you navigate the learning process and develop the skills you need, on-demand.
Chris Dutton is a certified Excel MOS Expert, edtech entrepreneur, and best-selling analytics instructor.
As founder and COO of Maven Analytics, Chris' work has been featured by Microsoft, HuffPost, Entrepreneur, and the New York Times, reaching more than 500,000 students around the world.
A leader in analytics education, Maven Analytics empowers everyday people to change the world with data.
Aaron is a professional analytics consultant and Power BI expert, with 10+ years working in business intelligence and marketing analytics.
He's an instructor, coach and mentor for aspiring analysts, and has deep experience helping companies develop and implement full-stack BI solutions.
Aaron is the Head of Student Success at Maven Analytics, a leader in analytics education, whose mission is to empower everyday people to change the world with data.