New to Tableau? or Just looking to fill in knowledge gaps?
This course is designed for both needs. Using real open source data you will become technically fluent in using tableau, one of the best data visualization software on the market. This course is the result of over five years of experience in tableau. The course is split into three stages, each designed to give a solid foundation in tableau without leaving the student with knowledge gaps.
- If you are a complete beginner or have Basic knowledge you should start at stage one.
- If you have experience in Tableau you should start at stage two, but review any gaps in stage one you have.
If you would like to know exactly what skills you will learn please view the full technical list at the bottom of this description box.
Why a course by Jamie Fry?
I have NINE years experience with tableau in the workplace. I've watched it grow from simple drag and drop tool into a extremely powerful visualisation software, from a Private company to an IPO. I am not a full time udemy instructor, which i believe is a strength. What i will teach you i use everyday in my workplace, for all different manner of clients across the globe. My technical teaching of this tool comes with real workplace Do's and Don'ts, teaching you will not get from full time instructors that have been out of the workplace for a number of years. I teach tableau in classrooms face to face and via video conferencing, and years of this experience has led to this streamlined course. Please see my Bio for more information on my academic and professional background.
The three stages of this course:
Stage 1: The Apprentice
The absolute fundamentals of tableau. Hit the ground running by learning all the basics, and how tableau manipulates your data. Even students with existing knowledge may learn something here.
Stage 2: The Master
Advance your data visualisation skills and learn to leverage your data. Students will learn the bulk of tableau here.
Stage 3: The Hero
Put all your skills learned to the test, and learn even more by completing a fully interactive workbook consisting of three linked dashboards. You will learn advanced dashboard skills here whilst bringing together all your knowledge.
A number of bonus lectures have been added to enhance your skills once you have completed the course. These include new chart types such as the "Waterfall" chart which cannot done by the "show me" tab in tableau.
A full list of what technical skills you will Learn:
- Actions (Filter, Highlight and URL)
- Navigation between dashboards via actions
- Parameters: The Fundamentals
- Parameters: Switching between measures
- Parameters: As a global filter
- Dashboard Design: Make it look good
- Dashboard Design: Make it function well
- Review & Publishing
- When to use storyboards vs dashboards
- Text Tables
- Heat Maps
- Highlight Tables
- Waterfall Chart (BONUS)
- Symbol Maps
- Filled Maps
- Pie Charts
- Bar Charts
- Stacked Bars
- Side by Side Bars
- Duel Axis Charts
- Tree Maps
- Scatter Plots
- Area Charts
- Box and Whisker
- Control Charts
- Word cloud (BONUS)
- Connecting to Data
- Level of Detail (LOD)
- What "Good" data Looks like
- Dashboards and Stories
- How tableau pivots on your data
- Bins and Distributions
- Calculated Fields
- Table Calculations
- Tableau Calculations as functions
- Window calculations
- Data blending and joining
- Reference lines & bollinger bands
- Trend line
- Filters, including the context filter
- Grouping & Sets
- Using time series charts
- Formatting (colours, fonts etc)
- Custom colours
- Custom shapes
- WMS Mapping
- Packaging workbooks
Notable features which are NOT covered:
- Using APIs (web data connectors)
- Tableau Server (you should not need to buy courses on this, support is included in Tableaus fee when you buy the server).
- An installed copy of tableau public or desktop. Course covers v9 to 2019 of tableau.
- All data is provided in the course.