Have you ever imagined what is deep under the ground? What is happening deep inside the earth? How has the earth evolved into its present state? This course is an introduction to earth science, focusing on the deep earth. We will learn how temperature and chemical compositions inside the Earth are inferred from limited observations combined with laboratory experiments. We will also explore the fate of water on the early Earth related to advanced research questions. Upon finishing this course, you will learn how scientists interpret the unknown and use the scientific method to address immeasurable research challenges.
No specific knowledge is needed. Join this course and let’s imagine the inside of the Earth together.
- Chemical compositions and dynamics inside the earth
- Internal temperature of the earth and how it is estimated
- Theory on Plate tectonics and how these plates glide over the mantle
- Water inside the deep earth as an example of advanced Earth science research
- How to apply multidisciplinary scientific methods to understand what can’t be seen directly