You may have heard of gut flora, microbiota, microbiome, commensals. These are the microbes that hitchhike on and in your body. You may have thought yeh fine a few little microbes and if I wash my hands enough they're not gonna hurt. It's true they won't hurt in fact quite the opposite - they are essential for good health. They help digest your food, they produce the precursors to many of your neurotransmitters, they help control your weight, they are key components of a healthy immune system.
and there aren't just a few of them - there are between 40 and 100 trillion - that's about 10 times the number of human cells you have in your body.
This course explores the microbiota or gut flora you will learn:
- What and where it is
- What it does
- Why modern western living and diet gives it a hard time
- How to look after it and make sure it's healthy which means you are healthy.
So welcome to this short course - let's dive headlong into your gut and make acquaintance with your microscopic friends.
Unfortunately our war on bacteria has killed both good and bad - our health has suffered as a result.
- This course is for absolutely anyone - the only prerequisite is that your are interested in your health
- Understand the role and importance of the gut flora or microbiota on their health
- Make informed food choices that will have a huge impact on your health and wellbing
- Help others make good food choices that will nurture their microbiota and alleviate a wide range of inflammatory, immune and allergic symtoms
Colin is committed to helping people have a more balanced and healthful life - efficient and stress free. Whilst a seemingly insurmountable challenge - to try and balance a life in an environment for which humans were not designed, there are many tools we can use to take on this challenge.
Colin has many years of experience and understands well, the different challenges posed by the varied work and home environments. Colin has worked in the corporate environment, sales and marketing and IT but also knows the challenges of an entrepreneur and stay at home dad, having run his own businesses in IT, photography and health and fitness. A graduate in Psychology from the University of London, Colin has always had a fascination with the human dilemma, a modern mind in a technological world, transported in a confused and primal body. By trying to understand what both parties need, the challenge of a composed, serene mind in an optimised body might be achieved.
Colin has 20 years experience as a personal trainer and natural health coach. He owned and ran a health business called Wildfitness which operated retreats in Spain, Crete, Kenya, Zanzibar and UK.