Setting strong, metric-driven goals for yourself and your organization can be tough, but it’s also incredibly important. In this course, you will learn how to crush your goals by using the Objectives and Key Results (OKR) framework. This simple method for goal setting is used by many successful companies across the globe, including Google, GE, and Udemy, because they are an excellent method for communicating what each team is working on and how they're measuring their results with the rest of the organization. The framework requires people to write metric-driven results that demonstrate they have achieved their objective. OKRs are also easily cascaded within an organization, so that everyone’s goals align.
This course is led by Shelley Osborne, Head of Learning & Development at Udemy. It is designed for people at all levels, from individual contributors to managers, who want to write strong goals for themselves and their team, and cascade goals within their organization.
In the Goal Crushing course, you will learn how to:
- Write Objectives and Key Results for yourself and your team to help you communicate the value of your work with the rest of your organization
- Use different types of metrics to write value-based key results that demonstrate your impact on your organization
- Align and cascade goals throughout an organization
- Document your goals
- Write your own value-based OKRs
By the end of this course, you will be able to crush your goals by writing strong, metric-driven OKRs. Are you ready? Let’s crush this!
- It is helpful to have an understanding of the organizational structure of your company and what strategic objectives you want to achieve.
- You will learn what the Objectives and Key Results (OKR) framework is and why it is useful
- You will learn how to communicate the value of your work to your colleagues by writing strong, metric-driven OKRs
- You will learn models for how goals can cascade and practice cascading goals on your own
- You will write value-based key results with different types of metrics that demonstrate the results you are driving for the business
- You will learn methods for documenting your goals
- You will write your own value-based OKRs
Shelley Osborne is passionate about creating corporate learning cultures that enable continuous skills development and nurture a growth mindset to drive employee engagement and company performance. She has over fifteen years of experience across the education, consulting, and corporate sectors.
Currently, Shelley is the Vice President of Learning at Udemy, where she leads the company’s learning strategy and continuous upskilling of employees globally. In her work, she often leverages innovative technologies and fresh approaches like virtual reality and gamification to drive lasting engagement. Before Udemy, Shelley was the Vice President of Learning & Development at Farside HR Solutions, where she advised early- and late-stage companies on learning and talent strategy, skill development and leadership programs. Before moving into the professional learning and development space, Shelley had a successful career as a classroom teacher in Canada for almost a decade.
Shelley speaks regularly at industry events such as TEDWomen, ATD International Conference, DevLearn, and Unleash. She contributes to numerous publications, including Entrepreneur, Fast Company, and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation. Shelley has also provided expert commentary in The Wall Street Journal, CNBC, Cheddar TV, Inc., and more. Drawing from her experience, Shelley is the author of an upcoming McGraw Hill book, The Upskilling Imperative: Five Ways to Make Learning Core to the Way We Work, which is slated for Summer 2020 release and examines how companies can create, implement, and maintain thriving learning cultures.
Udemy's Learning Team, led by Shelley Osborne, VP of Learning, works to create best-in-class learning experiences, both internally for Udemy employees, and externally, for Udemy students.