Grocery stores today are filled with numerous processed and refined packaged foods. But what is hiding in the midst of all those numbers and ingredients? Step by step, holistic nutrition expert Evita Ochel will teach you how to be a savvy and empowered consumer who knows how to use their food to support their health, not destroy it. You will be given guidelines and practical tips to know how to decipher front package claims, nutrition facts labels, and ingredient lists to make the best food choices for your health and weight.
You will never look at processed, packaged food the same way again.
If you have any processed food in your diet, this course will help you make sense of what you are eating and know how to make healthier choices. As consumers, we have choices and we can best exercise them when we know what to look for and what to avoid. No matter where you are in your health and wellness journey, you will be guided to understand the landscape of modern nutrition and navigate it in smart ways.
Make your food work for you, rather than against you.
Whether you would like to lose weight, or improve your health, or feed your family better you will be empowered to know how to improve your food choices. By learning how to read nutrition facts labels and ingredients, you will easily distinguish between high quality and poor quality foods.
This course will provide you with nearly 3 hours of practical video content. Each lesson also includes resource materials like printable summary sheets, practical exercises, and supplementary reading and video resources to help you practice and apply what you learn.
Get to know your food today to ensure the best health and wellbeing for your future!
- Receive an introduction to what modern, processed and packaged food is all about.
- Gain perspective about "what can be considered a healthy packaged/processed food".
- Understand why so much confusion exists in the field of nutrition, by understanding the difference between reductionist and holistic approaches to health and nutrition.
- Learn the difference between nutritionists and dietitians.
- Learn what your food product is trying to tell you and trying not to tell you.
- Understand how different words and claims are used in food labelling practices.
- Know the purpose of front package claims and how to use them in a smart way.
- Understand how numbers on nutrition facts labels are determined and possible errors.
- Understand the servings per package and how to use them.
- Understand the calories per serving and how to use them.
- Understand how fat functions in our diet and health.
- Understand the difference between the 4 types of low-fat and high-fat diets.
- Understand fat on the nutrition facts label and how to calculate it.
- Understand saturated fat and its quantity on the label and in your diet.
- Understand trans fat and its quantity on the label and in your diet.
- Understand the role and quantity of cholesterol on the nutrition facts label and in your diet.
- Understand the role and quantity of sodium on the nutrition facts label and in your diet.
- Know how to quickly and easily determine whether your packaged food is a high sodium, reasonable sodium or low sodium food.
- Learn about the basics of carbohydrates and what makes them healthy or unhealthy.
- Understand carbohydrates on the nutrition facts label and in your diet.
- Understand fiber on the nutrition facts label and in your diet.
- Understand sugar on the nutrition facts label and in your diet.
- Learn about the basics of protein and our unnatural fixation on it.
- Understand protein on the nutrition facts label and in our diet.
- Learn about optimal protein amounts.
- Differentiate between healthy and unhealthy sources of protein.
- Understand the vitamin and mineral section on the nutrition facts label.
- Learn why there are usually so few specific vitamins and minerals listed on labels.
- Learn what the %DV amount means, as it applies to vitamin and mineral quantities.
- Know about differences in quality of vitamins and minerals in your food.
- Get introduced to the powerful phytonutrients, which are missing on nutrition facts labels.
- You should have reliable Internet access to be able to stream the video lectures on your mobile or desktop.
- You should have access to a calculator for your practice activities.