Garageband iOS is Apple's incredibly powerful mobile recording studio that allows anyone to play and compose professional sounding music. It's allowed individuals to create natural sounding orchestras with little more than their phone and a pair of headphones.
In this class, we explore how Garageband works and how someone can compose their own music without any previous experience playing instruments or writing songs. We'll look at some different genres of music, and build demos of each track, including:
- trip hop/ hip hop
- ambient/ classical/ new age
Each genre of music has their own requirements, so within each demonstration we'll work our way through:
- learning the types of instruments
- arpeggios and chords
- using quantization to straighten out our playing
- working with samples from other sources and creating our own sound samples
- mixing the music both within Garageband and using alternate digital workstations
- creating filters and guitar amplifiers as a way to give texture to our music
- linking other music apps with Garageband
and much much more!
- Students will need an iPhone or iPad
- Garageband app