If you have a technical or creative project that you want to finish (or start!), this course will help you to identify why you are getting blocked, how to stay on track and ultimately help you FINISH IT (your project that is).
We often use the word "motivation" to summarise the process of staying focused and getting our work done. But finishing challenging projects requires far more than just motivation - it requires systems, strategies, tools and planning.
In this course we start at the high level and explore how this project fits into your overall career or life goals. We look at what, exactly, your final product will look like and why on earth you are even working on your project. Often its not for very powerful reasons which can lead to some funky unproductive behaviour on our part.
We continue to drill down through your project to look at what are your very next actions, where you are blocked, what you plan to accomplish this week, this month and the next 90 days. You will learn techniques such as:
- The Very Next Thing tecnhique
- The Clear Your Cache technique
- Your own personal approach to Finding Flow
- The Work-Or-Dont-Work philosophy
- The Work Breakdown Structure technique
- The Accountability Buddy approach
- And many more techniques for success
The goal of this course is very simple: Get you to Finish your project.
Some examples of projects that our students are working to finish are:
- Video game project
- App development project
- Portfolio building project
- Online course / study project
Looking for specific technical content? Check out our comprehensive range of game development courses.
The course follows a step-by-step Workbook which will guide you through your specific set of circumstances and help you finish your project.
The instructors of this course have spent years studying and teaching personal development. They have completed many projects as well as not completed many projects and have an acute understanding of what it takes to achieve success when you are in charge of your own milestones and deadlines.
You might be working solo on your project, but you don't have to do it alone. Come and join our community, share your challenges and learn from others with theirs.
We hope you allow us to contribute to the completion of your project!
Come join us now, you won't be disappointed!
- What this course is, and isn't, about.
- Examples in Rick's life of 2 very different motivational experiences.
- Introducing the Course Workbook.
- How to copy / download your own copy of the Workbook.
- The first big question / challenge of the course - what is your project?
- The important outcome of this lecture is knowing exactly what it is that you are aiming to achieve as a good outcome.
- A quick side note video!
- The project is for you, its represents your goals and dreams and progress. Don't let other people's opinions prevent you from finishing it.
- Why are you working on this project? Why Finish it?
- We look at what your perfect day looks like and how this project fits into that story.
- As the saying goes, "what is the why that makes you cry"?
- Rick does a bit of "walking the talk" by showing you precisely why he HASto finish his projects.
- Why are you working on your project - is it a "should", a "want" or a "must"?
- What is your "Iabsolutely MUST finish this project" reason?
- Who is a role model that inspires you, and who you would like to be like?
- What are the qualities of that person that stand out to you?
- Procrastination versus logistics.
- What logistics are setting you back and need to be addressed?
- Time and place, tools and tech, people and processes.
- What are the things you need to change in your physical environment?
- Are there any things you need to get in order to be more productive?
- Other things you absolutely need to change.
- "When will you get it done by"?
- We are often sneaky with how we answer this question and give ourselves ways to wriggle out of it.
- Intention vs. Commitment.
- Honouring your word.
- You should have a game, an app or a course that you are either currently working on or plan to start.
- You want to be more efficient, productive or motivated when working on your creative or technical projects.
- Specific strategies for finishing your technical and creative projects.
- Methods for identifying why you are getting blocked on your project and what to do about it.
- The What-Why-Who-How-When process for professionally completing projects.
- Agile development processes for planning, scheduling and completing tasks.
Rick Davidson has been making video games for a living for more than 14 years as a Designer, Producer, Creative Director, and Executive Producer, creating games for console, mobile, PC and Facebook. He founded an Indie game studio, Inspirado Games, which was acquired in 2012 by Electronic Arts / PopCap. He has worked on cool IPs such as Mario, Transformers, Captain America and Mortal Kombat and created successful new IPs from scratch (such as "GardenMind" which was nominated for Canadian Game of the Year in the social / mobile category).
As a qualified Career Coach, Rick has helped thousands of people achieve their dream of making games for a living - both as Indie Game Developers and as valuable game industry employees.
GameDev tv was created to help anyone learn how to develop, design and sell indie games. We have some of the best-selling and highest rating game development courses on Udemy.
We have more than 600,000 students, and our aim is to make and maintain high quality courses that are engaging and entertaining for them.
GameDev tv offers comprehensive courses on Unity, Blender, Unreal, coding in C#, C++ and more. Looking to learn about a topic that we don't cover? Visit our community page and let us know.