Do you already have a reasonable command of general English, but want to improve your ability to communicate in business or professional situations? And do so in an effective yet enjoyable way? Then Essential Business English is just the course for you!
Each of the ten lessons begins with a fully animated dialogue, set in a fictional UK fashion company called Chic Boutique. The dialogues present the key language you need to communicate effectively in a wide range of common business situations.
The situations include:
- making a presentation
- participating in a meeting
- speaking on the phone
- negotiating an order
- scheduling an appointment
- taking part in a job interview
- making and dealing with complaints
Each dialogue is presented in two versions: with and without subtitles, and is complemented by:
- a quiz to test your comprehension
- a listen and repeat activity to help you improve your pronunciation and intonation
- a role play where you will have the opportunity to use the key language in a simulated dialogue
- a series of questions for you to answer about the lesson topic
- a listening comprehension passage related to the topic of the lesson
All the audio material has been recorded by professional voice actors with authentic British or American accents, and each lesson comes with a ten-page downloadable PDF workbook, which contains:
- a full transcript of the dialogue
- language notes explaining key grammar and vocabulary points
- a word list featuring definitions of the vocabulary used in the lesson
- language exercises
- a crossword
- a word search puzzle
Several of these activities can also be done online, and the extra resources include Quizlet flashcard sets featuring the vocabulary used in each lesson.
At the end of each lesson, there’s a Final Quiz, to test what you have learnt.
So, enrol today, and start learning the English you need for your professional career.
- You should have at least an intermediate level of English (minimum B1 under the Common European Framework of Languages).
- You should be able to understand simple everyday conversations and texts relating to topics you are familiar with.
- You should be willing to spend time working on the additional resources provided in addition to watching the videos.
- Understand the English used in a wide range of business and professional situations.
- Learn and practise key language expressions for use in business and professional contexts.
- Learn over 500 words of vocabulary.
- Improve grammar and reading skills.
My name is Jeffrey Hill and I teach English at the EM Normandie Business School in Le Havre, France. Although I’ve lived in France since 1981, I was born and grew up in Plymouth, in the south-west of England.
After obtaining a BA (Hons) degree in Hispanic Studies from Liverpool University, and a PGCE from Sheffield University, I spent two years teaching Spanish. I then obtained a Trinity College Licentiate Diploma in TESOL and worked as an ESL teacher in Spain for two years.
I’ve been working at the EM Normandie Business School since 1991, teaching general and business English, and preparing students for the TOEIC, TOEFL and IELTS exams. In 2004 I was awarded an MBA from Liverpool University.
In 2004, I started The English Blog, which now has over 9,000 posts and several million page views. Since 2011, I have been project manager for the EM Normandie’s iTunes U site, where I have published several top-ranking courses.
More recently, I created the Crossword English website, which features a free daily ESL crossword. I have also had two ESL crossword books published and self-published three others.
In 2016, I was responsible for producing the school’s free English-learning app, SmartEnglish by EM Normandie, which features my own business English course.
My latest project is a website and e-book called 'Learn English Online', which, as the title suggests, provides advice and resources for learning English online.
I have a life-long love of teaching and learning languages, and look forward to being able to share my experience with you.