This education course has been developed for educators and education leaders. It explores deep learning by bringing together the most up-to-date research from cognitive psychology, contemporary educational theories, and neuro-scientific perspectives.
Deep learning encourages students to become creative, connected, and collaborative problem solvers; to gain knowledge and skills for lifelong learning; and to use a range of contemporary digital technologies to enhance their learning.
To facilitate deep learning, teachers will learn how to employ a diverse range of powerful teaching strategies and authentic learning activities to assist students to become independent thinkers, innovative creators, and effective communicators. Throughout each module, suggested learning experiences are provided for school or system leaders who seek to engage with deep learning practices across their organisation. In this way, the course is differentiated to cater to both individual learners and to groups.
This course has been funded by Microsoft and is part of the Microsoft K-12 Education Leadership initiative developed to provide resources to K-12 school leaders around the world as they address the unique needs of their schools in a changing educational and technology landscape.
- The features of surface and deep learning
- Neuroscientific, psychological, and educational theories supporting deep learning
- The importance of communication skills in deep learning
- The role of student motivation and positive social relationships in deep learning
- How effective feedback can support deep learning
- How the thoughtful use of technology can support education