This is the long-awaited sequel to the Complete Unity Developer - one of the most popular e-learning courses on the internet! Completely re-worked from scratch with brand-new projects and our latest teaching techniques. You will benefit from the fact we have already taught over 350,000 students programming and game development, many shipping commercial games as a result.
Unity is an incredible 3D package used for making video games, architectural and medical imaging and more. The challenge is that it's big and complicated to use, especially for complete beginners to coding and game development. We make learning to code easy and fun by leading you step-by-step through the process of creating exciting games.
Get plugged into our communities of amazing developers on Facebook (nearly 20k), in our own TA-curated Community (17k views/day), and our student chat group (10k live at any one time).
The projects in the course use a mix of Unity 2017, 2018 and 2019. All sections are 100% compatible with the newer Unity 2019 software updates.
This course has full professional-produced English closed-captions.
If you're reading this you probably already have everything you need to get started. Unity is a free download. With regular access to an internet connection you'll be able to engage in our thriving community. Even if you have no experience with coding, or with 3D packages, we will guide you through everything from first principles. Starting slow, then building on what you learn, you'll soon have a very solid working knowledge of Unity.
Don't take our word for it, please see the amazing reviews students have taken the time to write. We are proud to be transforming lives, and equipping 1000s of people with valuable new skills. We would love you to become one of them now.
The course is project-based, so you will not just be learning dry programming concepts, but applying them immediately to real indie games as you go. All the project files will be included, as well as additional references and resources - you'll never get stuck. There are "talking heads", powerful diagrams, quality screencasts and more.
For each demo game you build you will follow this process
- Be challenged to build the entire game yourself.
- Be shown step-by step how to build it.
- Be challenged to apply, and re-apply your knowledge regularly.
Prefer to focus on 2D? Check-out our Complete Unity Developer 2D course. Want something a little more advanced? Check-out our epic Unity RPG course. Want to get certified, get a job, or learn environment art - we've got you covered. The green leaf logo is your sign of quality.
You will get full lifetime access for a single one-off fee. The creators are qualified and experienced coders and avid gamers, so are able to explain complex concepts clearly, as well as entertain along the way.
What this course DOESN'T cover
Here are some things we will not be covering in detail
- Art asset creation (assets provided but not made on-screen).
- Advanced performance optimization.
- Editor plugins or modifications.
- Physics engine modification.
Anyone who wants to learn to create games: Unity 3D is a fantastic platform which enables you to make production-quality games. Furthermore these games can be created for Windows, MacOS, iOS (even iOS 9), Android and Web from a single source!
Dive in now, you won't be disappointed!
- Get the latest version of Unity 2017 (5GB PC, 10GB Mac).
- We are using version 2017.1.1, version on slides.
- We'll update at the start of each section.
- How to find previous versions if needed.
- For Mac users only: downloading Visual Studio Mac.
- Later: change Unity to use VS on Mac.
- How Unity and Visual Studio relate.
- How to ask good questions & get the best help.
- Use the Q&A system for questions that need answers.
- Use the Community site for sharing work and ideas.
- Use our Discord chat server for live chat.
- How to setup and save a new project.
- Pick 3D (you can change and add asset packs later).
- Introducing Hierarchy, Scene, and Project tabs (default view)
- Build a simple block car.
- Save, screenshot & share.
- Parent and child GameObjects and transforms.
- What, why and how to prefab everything.
- Build a 2nd object (e.g. bike, person, street lamp, tree).
- Compose a small scene & share.
- Save and explore the files on disc.
- How an IDE helps us to write code.
- How to create a script from the Unity editor.
- How to chose which IDE Unity uses.
- Setting your font size.
- How to attach a .cs script to a GameObject.
- Particularly how to make Unity use Visual Studio on a Mac.
- How these hangouts work.
- Thanks for your introductions.
- MonoDevelop vs Visual Studio.
- Mac vs PC considerations.
- Answering some common questions.
- What you learned in this section.
- Please make the effort to engage in our community.
- Start the next section right away.
- About the provided terminal asset.
- You will learn foundational C# skills.
- Experienced developers should skim this section.
- Free disc space (5GB on PC, 10GB on Mac) to install Unity, Visual Studio, and our projects.
- PC or Mac capable of running Unity 2017 (free Personal version).
- Regular internet access for Q&A and community.
- That's it... you're good to go!
- Learn C# from scratch. A powerful modern language.
- Get experience using Unity 2017 - a very versatile 3D tool.
- Gain an excellent general knowledge of video game design.
- Make 2.5D and 3D games in Unity.
- Transfer your knowledge to .NET, other languages, and more.
- Learn how object oriented programming works in practice.
- Develop a positive attitude to problem solving.
- Practical exercises EVERY VIDEO to build actual skills.
- Learn good coding and design patterns.
- Learn to use source control, a valuable tool for working in small teams.
Hi, I'm Ben. I have a degree in computing from Imperial College London, and a physics diploma from the Open University.
I started working for myself at the age of 15, and never looked back. I explored careers as varied as being a commercial pilot, stunt-man, rock climbing instructor, and more. None of these provided a continued challenge, and stable income in the same way technology does.
After building and selling a home computer support business, I became an angel investor and business mentor here in Cambridge UK. I fell in love with teaching game development through one of my investments, and I now spend all of my time sharing my passion with people like you.
I can't wait to help you experience the fulfilment, and financial freedom, that having a deep understanding of technology brings.
So why not start learning to make games with me and my team now?
See you soon!
Rick Davidson has been making video games for a living for more than 14 years as a Designer, Producer, Creative Director, and Executive Producer, creating games for console, mobile, PC and Facebook. He founded an Indie game studio, Inspirado Games, which was acquired in 2012 by Electronic Arts / PopCap. He has worked on cool IPs such as Mario, Transformers, Captain America and Mortal Kombat and created successful new IPs from scratch (such as "GardenMind" which was nominated for Canadian Game of the Year in the social / mobile category).
As a qualified Career Coach, Rick has helped thousands of people achieve their dream of making games for a living - both as Indie Game Developers and as valuable game industry employees.
GameDev tv was created to help anyone learn how to develop, design and sell indie games. We have some of the best-selling and highest rating game development courses on Udemy.
We have more than 600,000 students, and our aim is to make and maintain high quality courses that are engaging and entertaining for them.
GameDev tv offers comprehensive courses on Unity, Blender, Unreal, coding in C#, C++ and more. Looking to learn about a topic that we don't cover? Get plugged into our communities of amazing developers on Facebook (nearly 20k), in our own TA-curated Community (17k views/day), and our student chat group (10k live at any one time).