Serverless computing will shape the future of web development since it allows you to get rid of many issues "traditional" web hosting poses.
Now's the time to dive into this exciting new technology!
Unlike in traditional web hosting, where you spin up servers, configure them and then deploy your code, in serverless applications, you don't manage any servers! Instead, you only provide your code and define when it should get executed. Done!
Without managing any servers, you typically pay way less (since you got no overhead capacity), can react much better to incoming traffic spikes and don't have to worry about server security!
For these very reasons, it's no wonder that serverless computing is on the rise, with more and more companies adopting it! Learn it now to gain an edge and either use it for your own projects or apply for high-paid jobs!
What does this course offer then?
This course will introduce you to serverless computing and then quickly dive into how to build serverless apps with Amazon Web Services (AWS).
Specifically, you will learn:
- how you can build a REST API without worrying about servers, using AWS API Gateway
- to set up your on-demand code via AWS Lambda
- how to execute that Lambda code whenever incoming requests reach your defined REST endpoints
- how you can store data in a database - naturally without managing any database servers!
We won't stop there though! Instead, you'll then dive even deeper into serverless computing and learn:
- how you can add user authentication to your existing frontend apps and how you can then also protect your REST API against unauthenticated access with ease!
- how you can easily integrate a complete user sign up & sign in flow (including user confirmation) into ANY app (web app, iOS or Android app!) with AWS Cognito
- how to deploy your web app in a serverless manner
- how to speed up the delivery of your static web app assets
- how to secure your serverless app
- what else you can build with the services covered in this course and which other services might be interesting to you
- where to dive deeper regarding advanced development workflows
- and much more!
Is this course for you?
Now that you know what this course offers, is it the right choice for you? Which skills should you bring?
This course is absolutely the right choice for you if you're interested in providing great web applications without worrying about the provisioning of servers.
It's also the right choice if you already got experience as a system administrator but are interested in keeping up with the latest developments and the many new possibilities serverless computing offers.
You will need some basic AWS knowledge, or the willingness to dive deeper into AWS alongside taking this course. Additionally, a credit card is required for signing up to AWS.
Finally, you should be familiar with APIs and SPAs (Single-Page-Applications) and which role they play in today's web development environment. You don't need to know how to create them though.
I'd be very happy to welcome you on board!
- You should have a basic understanding about what AWS (Amazon Web Services) is or bring the willingness to learn more about them alongside taking this course
- You will need a credit card to create an AWS account
- You should have a basic understanding about what APIs and SPAs (Single-Page-Applications) are and what role they play in modern web development
- You don't need to be anything close to an AWS expert!
- You don't need to have advanced API/ SPA knowledge!
- Build, secure and run APIs without managing any servers using AWS API Gateway and Lambda
- Host SPAs without managing any servers
- Add user authentication to serverless applications
- Run code on-demand in the cloud
Bundling the courses and know how of successful instructors, Academind strives to deliver high quality online education.
Online Education, Real-Life Success - that's what Academind stands for. Learn topics like web development, data analyses and more in a fun and engaging way.
Currently, you can find courses published by Maximilian Schwarzmüller and Manuel Lorenz, more instructors to come!
Experience as (Web) Developer
Starting out at the age of 13 I never stopped learning new programming skills and languages. Early I started creating websites for friends and just for fun as well. Besides web development I also explored Python and other non-web-only languages. This passion has since lasted and lead to my decision of working as a freelance web developer and consultant. The success and fun I have in this job is immense and really keeps that passion burningly alive.
Starting web development on the backend (PHP with Laravel, NodeJS, Python) I also became more and more of a frontend developer using modern frameworks like React, Angular or VueJS 2 in a lot of projects. I love both worlds nowadays!
As a self-taught developer I had the chance to broaden my horizon by studying Business Administration where I hold a Master's degree. That enabled me to work in a major strategy consultancy as well as a bank. While learning, that I enjoy development more than these fields, the time in this sector greatly improved my overall experience and skills.
Experience as Instructor
As a self-taught professional I really know the hard parts and the difficult topics when learning new or improving on already-known languages. This background and experience enables me to focus on the most relevant key concepts and topics. My track record of many 5-star rated courses, more than 700,000 students on Udemy as well as a successful YouTube channel is the best proof for that.
Whether working as development instructor or teaching Business Administration I always received great feedback. The most rewarding experience is to see how people find new, better jobs, build awesome web applications, acquire amazing projects or simply enjoy their hobby with the help of my content.
Together with Manuel Lorenz, I founded Academind to offer the best possible learning experience to our more than 800,000 students.