The course has been remastered in Unity 2018!
This course started as a runaway success on Kickstarter and has gone on to become the most popular and most watched Unity game development course on Udemy. The course has full English closed-captions throughout.
Learn how to create video games using Unity, the world-leading free-to-use game development tool. We start super simple so you need no prior experience of Unity or coding! With our online tutorials, you'll be amazed what you can achieve right from the first moment you start the course.
Benefit from our world-class support from both other students, and the GameDevtv team who are regularly engaged in the forums and Q&A section. Go on to build several games including:
- Laser Defender: A Top-Down Space Shooter with enemies to shoot and dodge;
- Glitch Garden: A Tower Defense game with different tower types and enemy types, and a basic resources system;
- TileVania: A fast-paced classic Side-Scrolling Platformer using Unity's Tilemap tool;
- Block Breaker: A basic "Breakout" style game which introduces Unity's built in physics engine.
Prefer to start with 3D games? Check-out our sister course, the Complete C# Unity Developer 3D. Already have some Unity knowledge, and want something more challenging? Check-out our epic RPG Core Combat Creator. More interested in creating 3D models from scratch? Start with our Complete Blender Creator course. Our green leaf logo is a symbol of passion and quality.
You will have access to a course forum where you can discuss topics on a course-wide basis, or down to the individual video. Get plugged into our communities of amazing developers on Facebook (nearly 20k), in our own TA-curated Community (17k views/day), and our student chat group (10k live at any one time). Check out our reviews to see how people love this feature.
The course is project-based as we believe this is the best way to learn Unity and C#. You will not just be learning dry programming concepts, but applying them immediately to real indie games as you go. All the project files will be included, as well as additional references and resources - you'll never get stuck. There are talking-head videos, powerful diagrams, quality screencasts and more.
Oh, and it's just bigger and better than other Unity courses you will find online. See the course length and the reviews.
For each demo game you build you will follow this process
- Be challenged to build the entire game yourself.
- Be shown step-by step how to build it.
- Be challenged to apply, and re-apply your knowledge regularly.
You will get full lifetime access for a single one-off fee. The creators are qualified and experienced coders and avid gamers, so are able to explain complex concepts clearly, as well as entertain along the way.
You will learn C#, and in turn build a solid foundation for Object Oriented Programming. By the end of the course you'll be very confident in the basics of coding and game development, and hungry to learn more.
What this course DOESN'T cover
Whereas this course is already huge, we can't possibly cover everything in that time. Here are some things we will not be covering
- Performance optimization.
- Editor plugins or modifications.
- Physics engine modification*
* Separate mini-course to cover these this now available.
Anyone who wants to learn to create games: Unity is a fantastic platform which enables you to make production-quality games. Furthermore these games can be created for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android and Web from a single source!
If you're a complete beginner, we'll teach you all the coding and game design principles you'll need. If you're an artist, we'll teach you to bring your assets to life. If you're a coder, we'll teach you game design principles.
Dive in and learn Unity now, you won't be disappointed!
- We make learning Unity & C# easy
- Introducing Ben & Rick
- What the course covers
- 40,000 reviews can't be wrong!
- Navigate to Unity's download page
- Download Unity Hub
- Select the latest version of Unity to download
- Select your download options from the list
- Create a new Unity project
- Create a .cs script
- Add a simple print statement
- Attach script to camera game object
- Run script and see our statement printed to the console
- We use PC mostly throughout the course
- General differences you'll see on Mac versus PC
- Specific Unity and Visual Studio differences you'll see on a Mac.
- Options for getting help & support
- Using the Udemy Q&A section
- GameDev.tv community forum
- Discord chat server
- Facebook community group
- Google slides and close captions.
- Great work on getting set up
- Let's dive into the next section.
- Overview of this section
- Code is mostly the same as the original code
- Let's get started!
- Understand the game flow for the simple game we are making.
- Use Debug.Log() to print our welcome to the player
- Add three additional statements to give the player the requirements
- Discuss that variables are like boxes which store data.
- Create an integer variable to store our maximum guess value.
- Create an integer variable to store our minimum guess value.
- Mac or PC capable of running Unity 2018.
- Optional: A free download of Unity 5 to review the original content of the course.
- A passion and willingness to learn how to code.